Magazines, Catalogues, Books, and Web Sites
Members of the Club have found the following magazines, catalogues and books helpful in working with wood.
1. Woodcraft catalogue (www.woodcraft.com)
We recommend you get on the mailing list to receive this catalogue. Supplies can be ordered on line and will be delivered by UPS to your home in a matter of days. The local Woodcraft store is located near West Port Plaza just off Page Avenue at 2077 Congressional Drive, Maryland Heights, Mo. (phone: 314-993-0413)
2. Rockler catalogue (1-800-279-4441) (www.rockler.com)
Another helpful catalogue to be receiving. The local Rockler store is the Orchard Bend Mall on St. Charles Rock Road just east of I-270. Phone: 314-209-1116).
3. Lee Valley & Veritas catalogue (www.leevalley.com)
This company specializes in unique hardware and hand tools.
4. ShopNotes (www.shopnotes)
One of the best periodicals for information about shop jigs and equipment.
5. Woodsmith (www.woodsmith.com)
Provides excellent information on projects that can be made in your shop from furniture to picture frames to shelving to home theatre cabinetry.
6. Fine Woodworking (www.finewoodworking.com)
Many consider this to be the best magazine for advanced furniture making and projects made in your shop.
7. Wood Magazine (www.woodmagazine.com)
This magazine contains helpful shop information and plans for various furniture projects.
8. Woodworker’s Journal (www.woodworkersjournal.com)
Another magazine providing helpful shop information and plans.
1. The Woodcraft Shop. This company specializes in wood carving supplies. Most national level instructors use The Woodcraft Shop as their major supplier of tools, equipment, and books. Located at 2724 State Street, Bettendorft, Iowa 52722. Web site: www.thewoodcraftshop.com.
2. Woodcraft Stores located in major cities. St. Louis location in the West Port Plaza Area at 2077 Congressional Drive, Maryland Heights, Mo. Phone: 314-993-0413. Order catalogue at 1-800-225-1153. Web Site: www.woodcraft.com.
3. Rockler Woodworking and Hardware Stores located in major cities. St. Louis location is at on St. Charles Rockroad near the airport. OrderSupply Catalog at 1-800-279-4441. Web site: www.rocklerpro.com.
4. Wood Carving Illustrated, published four times a year, phone (717) 560-4703 or toll free at 1-888-506-6630, one year subscription $19.95. Web site: www.carvingworld.com.
An excellent magazine with articles for beginners to advanced. Shows and schools are listed in the back. The Holiday 2006 issue is No. 37.
5. Caving Magazine, published four times a year, phone 1-800-877-5527, one year subscription $19.95. We site: www.carvingmagazine.com.
Another excellent wood carving magazine for beginners to advanced. The fall 2006 issue is No. 15.
6. Chip Chats, bi-monthly publication, $14 per year. Web site: www.chipchats.org
7. Internet sites:
a. www.CarvingWorld.com -- site for Wood Carving Illustrated.
b. www.chipchats.org -- site for Chip Chats magazine. Excellent list of carving clubs, list of web sites for non-professional and professional carvers.
c. www.cca-carvers.org -- site for the Caricature Carvers of America (CCA). Excellent on-line book by the members of the CCA where each carved a figure from a 4” X 4” X 12” block, wrote about the project, includes pictures and patterns.
8. Publishers of wood carving books:
a. Schiffer Publishing, 77 Lower Valley Road, Atglen, Pennsylvania 19310, phone (610) 593-1777. Call to get on their mailing list to receive catalogue. Web site: www.schifferbooks.com.
b. Fox Chapel Publishing Company, Inc., 1970 Broad Street N., East Petersburg, Pennsylvania 17520, phone (717-560-4703). Call to get on their mailing list to receive catalogue. Web site: www.foxchapelpublishing.com.